“Latady Design’s interest in old houses was key, as was their local knowledge of the zoning, permitting, and most importantly, the Historic District Commission process. Distinct “value adds” for us included having expert, friendly advice from a partner who helped us think everything through, solve problems, save us time, get us to the right place within the budget, and provide the necessary quality control for our project.”
Built in 1710 and used by the Bedford Minutemen the morning of April 19th, 1775, the historic 5,000-square-foot Fitch Tavern was expanded in the 1850s and again in 1890. The new owners desired major renovations for more efficient and enjoyable living for a family of five–and two dogs. Our renovations focused on configuring and updating nine rooms in the 1850s main section of the house. In addition, we modified the 1890 suite to include a barrier-free bathroom to facilitate aging in place for Grandma, created a historically appropriate three-car carriage house, and designed a wrap-around porch complete with retractable screens overlooking landscaped gardens. Each change reflected the home’s historical character yet allowed it to expand and naturally evolve into the 21st century. The result? A home for ease of living, comprehensive cooking space for the owner—a former chef, and the go-to home for entertaining for commemorative historic and fundraising events.